Media Categories 1.5 ReleasedPosted: December 26, 2012 Filed under: Plugins 4 Comments
Last week I finally released Media Categories 1.5, but I neglected to write a post about it. Most of the UI issues have been resolved with the Media Modal, however due tot time constraints I could only ensure the plugins compatibility as far back as WordPress 3.3. It doesn’t break the site earlier than that, but selected taxonomy terms dont save properly. As of now, I have no plans to extend support to 3.2.x or before.
I do intend however on adding a few more features that I think are missing from WordPress 3.5 as soon as I have the time. The most obvious of which I will also try to get committed to core. Said enhancements include:
- Fixing the counter on the right of the attachment table – its supposed to indicate the number of media items per category but it does not count accurately.
- Adding a taxonomy filter to the attachments page – for most post types with a taxonomy enabled, the post types admin page shows a ‘View all categories’ drop down. This is missing from media in WordPress 3.5. I would also try to work some similar filtering ability into the Media Modal.
- There seem to still be some UI issues in the Media Modal when multiple taxonomies are assigned to a post type.
- I may create an admin interface in the settings area to allow admins to simply check from a list of checkboxes, which taxonomies (of all available taxonomies) they would like to enable for media.
- I may also include some simple functions for retrieving attachments by taxonomy. Although these would essentially be a simple wrappers of WP_Query or one of its wrapper functions, I believe it would serve as an example to developers on how to get started.
Take a look at how great attachments with taxonomies look in WordPress 3.5 by downloading Media Categories 1.5. Look out for some of these improvements I mentioned above in the next version, Media Categories 1.6.
One additional note: At some point in the near future I will update the plugins pages on this site,… I promise. However, please understand that the pages on this site are meant to contain the same information as the WordPress plugin repository does, mostly in the ‘Other Notes’ tab.
Hey mate thanks for your great plugin! I’m wondering if you are thinking of adding a dynamic filter-by-category tool in the WP media modal window by any chance? That’d be cool. 🙂
Adding a filter to that page is something I’ve considered doing in the future, but its down the line a bit. If you’ll notice, there is also no filter on the actual media taxonomy page – I’ll want to add that first along with several other small features.
Thanks for the suggestion, its definitely on the roadmap for this plugin.
Hey mate love the plugin thanks heaps. Wondering if you’re thinking of adding a dynamic filter for the WP media modal window for the categories? 🙂
This is great plugin. I just wish I could apply categories to multiple media items using the “Bulk Actions” menu!